This course is for anyone who has some experience of writing and wants to develop their skills further. It will help you build on your existing knowledge of storytelling. Tap into advice and anecdotes from a range of writers and writing resources, and use interactive workshops and exercises to improve your writing.
This eight week course will cover:
* Compelling Storytelling: What makes a great story? Where do great story ideas come from?
* Memorable characters: What makes a character memorable? How do you build your characters, their personality, their psychology, their world?
* Dialogue: How do you write dialogue? How can you use it as a tool to tell the story?
* Narrative positions: What point of view works best in which situations? How can you use the past, present and future tense to tell a story?
* Creating your story world: How do you create a world that readers can engage in?
* Plot and structure: What makes for an effective plot? How do you use structure to support your story? What tools can you use to improve story structure?
* Cut to the chase: writing in scenes: How do you write in scenes? What does it mean to write cinematically?
* Your writing practice: Why write? What are the things you need to keep your writing practice on track?
Each session will include group discussion, workshops and exercises, quotes from classical and contemporary writers, illustrative examples, common mistakes made and a list of resources relevant to the topic.
|Price||$315.00 (GST included)|
|Start date||Tuesday, 06 February 2018|
|Finish date||Tuesday, 03 April 2018|
|Sessions||8 sessions of 2 hours|
|Time||6.00pm - 8.00pm|
|Status||5 places are available.|
Please bring pens and a notebook.
About your tutor:
Sarah Newsome is a writer trapped in the body of mid-level public servant. When not chained to her desk pumping out reports and briefs, she schemes and dreams about stories, characters and all things writerly. Sarah has clocked up over 60 book and theatre reviews in local papers, 40 short stories, and six full length novels and holds a BA Communication.
Address: 37 Constitution Avenue, Reid